The CTSA Program provides critical resources and support needed to strengthen the entire spectrum of our nation’s clinical and translational research enterprise. CTSA Program hubs provide core resources, essential mentoring and training, and opportunities to develop innovative approaches and technologies designed to re-engineer existing capabilities. Program support also fosters collaborations to improve the quality, safety, efficiency and speed of clinical and translational research.
Funded Activities Under the CTSA Program
Download the table (PDF - 367KB)
|NCATS Clinical and Translational Science Awards Program1||Fiscal Year 2014 Actual||Fiscal Year 2015 Actual||Fiscal Year 2016 Actual|
|CTSA Hub Program2|
|Number of Hub awards3||58||58||57|
|Hub Awards (A UL1 award with a linked KL2 award and an optional TL1 award)||$404,954,499||$441,922,552||$449,584,228|
|Administrative Supplements to Hub Awards4||$44,204,713||$18,534,775||$9,851,866|
|Bridge Awards (U54)||$16,798,746||$3,528,613||$3,560,718|
|CTSA Collaboration Initiatives (per 2013 IOM Recommendations) — all awards to CTSA institutions|
|CTSA Collaborative Innovation Awards (U01/R21)||$8,602,736|
|Consortium Centers (U24/U54) RIC/TIC/CD2H/Coordination||$2,420,706||$2,741,255||$16,354,755|
|Subtotal of Funding to CTSA Institutions||$468,378,664||$466,727,195||$487,954,303|
|Other CTSA Activities5|
|Loan Repayment Program||$2,006,148||$1,986,781||$2,001,190|
|Program Management (includes NIH and DHHS assessments and transfers)||$5,432,517||$7,399,063||$9,779,507|
To view a list of awards from NIH RePORTER, please click on underlined dollar amounts.
1 NCATS received CTSA Program-specific appropriations language beginning in FY2014. CTSA Program-specific appropriations language in FY2012 and FY2013 was directed to the NIH Office of the Director.
2 A CTSA Hub is defined as a UL1 award with a linked KL2 award and an optional TL1 award. No Cost Extensions (NCE) to Hub awards do not receive funding from NCATS in a particular fiscal year. NCEs do not count as funded Hubs in that fiscal year and are therefore not reflected in the table.
3 In FY2014 NCATS did not issue a CTSA Program Hub funding announcement as the program was being re-structured in response to the 2013 IOM recommendations. Eight CTSA Program Hubs that were positioned to re-compete for hub awards in FY2014 were issued orderly close-out supplements to enable them to remain active until a FY2015 funding announcement was available and posted.
4 NCATS investment in Administrative Supplements for FY2014 was $93,000 less than what is shown in NIH RePORTER. NCATS investment in Administrative Supplements for FY2016 was $23,389 more than what is shown in NIH RePORTER. RePORTER provides the most up-to-date information possible on funded projects, so the data are not frozen and changes in the administrative details of prior awards can occur. Grand total amounts for the fiscal years are accurate.
5 For a glossary of NIH award codes, please go to https://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/funding_program.htm.
Current Funding Announcements
NCATS has released the following funding opportunity announcements for CTSA Program hub awards, Trial Innovation Centers, Recruitment Innovation Centers and Collaborative Innovation Awards.
Clinical and Translational Science Awards
- PAR-15-304: Clinical and Translational Science Award U54
- NOT-TR-17-012: Notice of Information to Announce NCATS Policy on Management of the Participant and Clinical Interactions Component of a Clinical and Translational Science Award
- NOT-TR-16-016: Notice of Correction to Eligibility in PAR-15-304 "Clinical and Translational Science Award (U54)"
- NOT-TR-15-019: Notice of Correction to Application Instructions in PAR-15-304 "Clinical and Translational Science Award (U54)"
- NOT-TR-15-017: Notice of Correction to PAR-15-304 Clinical and Translational Science Award U54
- CTSA PAR Frequently Asked Questions
- CTSA PAR Technical Assistance Video
Collaborative Innovation Awards
- PAR-16-343: Limited Competition: Exploratory CTSA Collaborative Innovation Awards (R21)
- PAR-15-172: Collaborative Innovation Award, Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program (U01)
- NOT-TR-17-004: Notice of Modification to PAR-15-172 "Collaborative Innovation Award, Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program (U01)" to Expand the List of High Priority Translational Research Opportunities on or after March 9, 2017
- NOT-TR-16-003: Notice of Modifications to PAR-15-172 to Allow for Resubmissions and to Expand the List of High Priority Translational Research Opportunities
- NOT-TR-16-012: Notice of Early Expiration of PAR-15-173 "Pre-Application for Collaborative Innovation Award, CTSA Program (X02)"
- NOT-TR-15-012: Notice of Corrections to PAR-15-172: Collaborative Innovation Award, Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program (U01)
- Collaborative Innovation Frequently Asked Questions
- PA-16-328: Limited Competition: Administrative Supplements to Enhance Network Capacity: Collaborative Opportunities for the CTSA Program (Admin Supp)
- NOT-TR-17-011: Notice of Change of Application Due Date to PA-16-328 "Limited Competition: Administrative Supplements to Enhance Network Capacity: Collaborative Opportunities for the CTSA Program (Admin Supp)"
- PA-16-288: Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Admin Supp)
- PA-16-289: Research Supplements to Promote Re-Entry into Biomedical and Behavioral Research Careers (Admin Supp)
View all of NCATS’ current funding opportunities.
Expired Funding Announcements
Visit the expired CTSA Program funding announcements page to learn more about past CTSA Program funding opportunities.
Research Performance Progress Reports
NIH Guide notice NOT-OD-15-014 requires that all grant progress reports for the CTSA Program UL1, KL2 and TL1 mechanisms be submitted electronically using the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) format. Please visit the NIH RPPR page for an overview and technical assistance for preparing and submitting reports.